Forget the gorgeous weather forecast for the Atlanta area and across the nation this weekend. Stay inside, fire up the computer and watch the NFL Draft!
That may be tough for some of you. I know at times like this I wish I could take an umbrella, stick it in a fancy “cold drink,” then take a bigger umbrella outside to shade my new work environment from the sun.
But I’d still be watching the draft.
The springing of a new season has a way of breathing life into otherwise stagnant situations. In the NFL, it signifies the start of something new for hundreds of young men standing at the threshold of a dream.
The NFL Draft is more than an unofficial kickoff for the season and excuse to bring fans young and old inside for an entire Spring weekend. It’s a mark of hope for teams that need it and (forgive me) a “step in the process” for teams looking to build off a surprising 11-5 season and put together back-to-back winning season.
Perhaps but, regardless of the team or history, the NFL Draft is the key in building a roster for the long term. With this in mind, we’re going to focus a lot at AF.com this weekend on what goes into the draft and the immediate reactions from the team’s decision makers.
Here’s just a few things we’re going to be doing to get you inside Flowery Branch over the weekend:
- Live Video — AtlantaFalcons.com will turn into a video “channel” over the weekend where we’ll step on the screen for live chats, take looks at the team’s draft party downtown and load in interviews with General Manager Thomas Dimitroff and others.
- Twitter, Twitter, Twitter — If you haven’t already, check out what we’re doing on Twitter. Follow Atlanta_Falcons to get the team’s draft picks before they appear on ESPN or NFL Network.
- Blogs — The AF.com team has a shiny, new blog site (blogs.atlantafalcons.com) featuring an inside look at the Falcons and breaking news. You’re already familiar with this blog, so I won’t preview you too much.
- Bios, Stats and Features — Look for articles and player bios soon after each of the Falcons picks.
- Ask a Question — I’ll step in front of the camera for video chats and answer questions through the weekend (starting Saturday afternoon). With Voices Heard. Click here to ask.
- Sunday Coverage — It’s tradition for the team’s first selection to visit The Branch on Sunday to meet with the media for the first time. Can’t tell you what time that will be just yet, but we’re looking at bringing you the video and, of course, the transcripts of that momentous event.
- Archives — If you can’t stay away from the garden or the golf course on this beautiful weekend you can catch a recap and current coverage at AtlantaFalcons.com/draft.
Like any breaking news event, I leave a lot left to decide.
For instance… The acquisition of Tony Gonzalez fundamentally changes how the Falcons could approach the 2009 NFL Draft. And the move came less than 24 hours ago (less than two days from the start of the first round).
In the NFL, news changes as often as the weather.
So enjoy both.